Monday, January 12, 2015

The Year(s) In Review - Part IV

So at this point the Café’s been closed for a couple weeks and we can’t seem to get the insurance issue sorted out. What is the best and most non-emotional decision I can make. So, we decide to close and not renew the lease. It was a hard decision but it was for the best. At the end of the day, a business decision, not a personal or an emotional one was the right one to make.

The reality is, I did take it personal. On some levels I felt like I had failed. Failed the family, failed my friends and failed the investors. What you find is that you are always your worst critic. In reality, the catering had a great year, but it was overshadowed by the Cafe's trails and tribulations.

We spent the next few months focusing more on The Spice Rack Catering. My spirit is such that I don't stay down for long and I look at setbacks as just obstacles to overcome.I realized that my desire to open a restaurant had not changed and I still loved the idea of the Cafe. I spent quite a bit of time getting back into the food (which is why I had got into it to start with). The Cafe had taken me away from the purity of the food and the creation process as I had know it (not to sound too dramatic and theatrical).

2014 ended up being a great year despite the setbacks and we’re well ahead of 2015 projections already. We’re lining up to start paying the investors back, and the idea of the Café and the restaurant are still there. It will just be a more informed process.

At the end of the day, there were mistakes made. It was all a learning process and one that made me a better chef, a better husband, a better father, a better friend and a better business owner.

So stayed tuned…2015 is going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment